19 March 2007

Today's Readings March 19

This morning's reading, from the Old Testament, is from the book of Deuteronomy, chapters 33 and 34. This completes the readings from Deuteronomy, and also from the Pentateuch, the five books of Moses. These are the most important Biblical portions for our Jewish friends. I regret to say that they are not nearly as familiar to Christians as they should be. They are vital. And yes, I know that all Scripture is important, and God-breathed, and vital.
This portion concludes Moses' farewell to the people before the Lord takes him, and includes one of my favorite verses,

27 The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms:


Seems to me you could make a hymn out of that line. (grin).


This evening's reading from the Old Testament is in the Gospel of Mark, chapter 1, verses 24 through 56. This is the Annuniciation to Mary which and her response, which I consider to be pure worshipful poetry -
46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,
47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
49 For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name.
50 And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation.
51 He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
52 He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree.
53 He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.
54 He hath holpen his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy;
55 As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever.


Would that we thank Him for His blessings as well as she did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.