15 May 2007

Today's Reading May 15

This morning's reading from the Old Testament comes from Second Kings, chapters 12, 13, and 14. This is interesting, but a bit hard going. It reminds me somewhat of the accounts back in the book of the Judges - the kings were mostly evil, the people were mostly doing wickedly, and the results were predictable: the Lord removed His protection from them and they were attacked by their enemies. Some of those enemies were internal - one king was killed by his own servants. Elisha dies during all of this time and the desire for the true God is little seen. Sounds familiar, actually.

.
This evening's reading from the New Testament is from the Gospel of John, chapter 5, verses 25 through 47. Jesus continues to teach those who do not want to hear. There are some harsh words here, and they're still valid.

37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.
38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.
39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
41 I receive not honour from men.
42 But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.

Tough stuff to hear. Worse to ignore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.