30 September 2007

Today's Reading September 30

Where has the year gone? Today is the end of September, tomorrow we turn the page and begin October. Growing up as I did in eastern Ohio, on the edge of Appalachia near the coal mines both active and closed, I associated this time with death - the trees losing leaves, the migratory birds gone or going, and the realization that soon winter was upon us. I can remember trick-or-treating in the snow. Global Warming, ridiculous as that pompous oaf Al Gore is, seems to me to be a Very Good Thing Indeed. When I had the chance to escape that world, I jumped at it and it would take quite a lot to take me back there for anything but a visit. Besides, I loathe and despise the pernicious effects of one-party rule (yes, the Party of the Jackass), the open and unabashed influence of the Mafia, both helped by some incredibly crooked and violent unions.
What does this have to do with the Bible? Well, death and misery and suffering exist all through this broken world. Yet the Lord in His wisdom and mercy has provided a way out of the eternal consequences of that. It helps if you know the way, and He provided a record of what He has done and a road map. Why not take advantage of it?
--
This morning's reading is Isaiah chapters 19, 20, and 21.

21:4 My heart panted, fearfulness affrighted me: the night of my pleasure hath he turned into fear unto me.
5 Prepare the table, watch in the watchtower, eat, drink: arise, ye princes, and anoint the shield.
6 For thus hath the LORD said unto me, Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth.
7 And he saw a chariot with a couple of horsemen, a chariot of asses, and a chariot of camels; and he hearkened diligently with much heed:
8 And he cried, A lion: My lord, I stand continually upon the watchtower in the daytime, and I am set in my ward whole nights:
9 And, behold, here cometh a chariot of men, with a couple of horsemen. And he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen; and all the graven images of her gods he hath broken unto the ground.
10 O my threshing, and the corn of my floor: that which I have heard of the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, have I declared unto you.
11 The burden of Dumah. He calleth to me out of Seir, Watchman, what of the night? Watchman, what of the night?
12 The watchman said, The morning cometh, and also the night: if ye will enquire, enquire ye: return, come.


-0-0-0-0-
This evening's reading is Ephesians chapter 2.
Paul spares no effort to make his message clear:
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
I like that.
19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
Ps 118:22 Matt 21:42 Mark 12:10 Luke 20:17 Acts 4:11 1 Pet 2:7
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.