02 September 2007

Today's Reading Septermber 2

Off to church in just a bit here.
This morning we begin a too-quick journey in Proverbs, chapters 1 and 2. There are those, and perhaps I should be one of them, who make it part of their routine to read through one of the chapters of Proverbs every day. So on the first of the month, every month, they read through Proverbs 1, and continue that. It's an idea worth trying. We could all stand more wisdom.
I will not reproduce the entire passage here. I do want to call attention to a short section of chapter
1. The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel:
2 To know wisdom and instruction,To perceive the words of understanding,
3 To receive the instruction of wisdom,Justice, judgment, and equity;
4 To give prudence to the simple,To the young man knowledge and discretion--
5 A wise man will hear and increase learning,And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel,
6 To understand a proverb and an enigma,
The words of the wise and their riddles.
7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

I have often gotten rather full of myself and thought myself smarter than anyone else. But had forgotten the fear of the Lord. That didn't make me wise, it made me foolish, and I proved it to all who could see. Now I have reason to be a lot more modest than I once was. The fear of the Lord needs to be foundational, a part of our inner character, not a thin coat of paint to hide the rough spots of the structure.
---_____--------_________
This evening we continue in 1st Corinthians, chapter 12
Today and the next few days in Corinthians are some of my favorite passages.
Paul gets into the matter of spiritual gifts. I fear that this issue, an extremely important one, is an issue which has led to quite a bit of wrangling and dispute, all too often in ways that I find troubling. And while I agree that it is important, not only to the individual but to the entire Body of Christ, it's not always dealt with in ways that honor the Lord.

12
1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant:
2 You know that [fn1] you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led.
3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.
4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord.
6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all.
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:
8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,
9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit,
10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.
/snip/
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually.
28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles?
30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?
31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

The last verses lead to tomorrow's passage on love. But do not just consider them to be a transitional section. The Lord does grant those spiritual gifts, and they are granted for His purposes and according to His plan. At the risk of great criticism, I personally believe that all of the gifts are still granted, though perhaps manifested differently than in Paul's time. That would put me in bad stead with some, and I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.