17 July 2009

Today's Hero in History

I am very much remiss here.

Wired e-zine is one of those I read frequently. Often some Real Good Stuff. Miss a day and you may miss a lot. As I did, until someone brought it to my attention.

So. Ahem. Today is the 107th anniversary of the invention of air conditioning. That may not mean much to you, depending upon your location. When I lived in Appalachian southeast Ohio, nobody had air conditioning, you might have a fan, certainly you'd have window screens, and spend warm evenings sitting on the porch. But we live in the Deep South, down in what we call ''LA'', meaning ''Lower Alabama''. And I assure you that air conditioning is durn important here.

So, let all raise a glass of sweet iced tea to the memory of Willis Haviland Carrier, our hero of the day.

Read about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.