26 December 2010

Today's Readings -- 26 December 2010

Day after Christmas, still a thousand miles from the place we normally call home, and on the Lord's day as well. It's been quite a tour so far. We're staying in the spare room of my brother's house, the house I spent much of my life in, in the town I spent much of my life in. Now I feel like a stranger everywhere. We had a meal with both my brothers (the other made the 40 mile trek), my brother's wife, my older daughter and her husband (just arrived from their own thousand mile trek from western Arkansas). Then Dear Wife and I, and Beloved Older Daughter and Esteemed Son-in-Law, made a trek about 20 miles further north to meet Wife's sister, Her estranged husband, her son and his wife and child, and her daughter and her fiancee, as well as her new "relationship". An odd cast of characters to be sure. But a sort of good time was had by several, and since Wife's sister has a birthday the same week as Christmas, there was a lot of celebration ongoing.
Today, the plan is to again visit my elderly (in his 90's) father at the assisted living facility with the help of Beloved Daughter, and my sister and HER husband are also expected to blow in to town from central Virginia and join us there. (yes, we have become rather scattered upon the face of the earth).
Meanwhile, there are all the tensions that come from the intersections of "blended families". Brother 1, the one who came down yesterday, was divorced a few years ago from a woman to whom he was married for more than 15 years. The moment the last of her kids (from a previous marriage) were out of the house, she kicked him out too, and took up a new "interest". Brother #2, the one with whom we are staying, was also previously divorced, having 3 sons by that. His current wife is also previously divorced, having several children of THAT marriage. Two of brother's sons are in the military, both were divorced, and the younger of that duo is now remarried and has a son by new wife. There are tensions, in part from jockeying for place and primacy, and a host of old hurts (and some not so old).
Somehow, I don't think that this state of affairs would have pleased my long-gone grandfathers, divorce being one of those things that were just unthinkable. I think they were nearer right than what I see.

This morning's reading is Zechariah 1, 2, 3. Getting down towards the end of the Minor Prophets and the Old Testament now, as the year winds down. But these so-called Minor Prophets were serving the same Lord who sent His Son, and who commissioned Moses and Isaiah. So don't ignore what is being said because of that.

1
In the eighth month, in the second year of Darius, came the word of the LORD unto Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, the son of Iddo the prophet, saying,
2
The LORD hath been sore displeased with your fathers.
3
Therefore say thou unto them, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Turn ye unto me, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will turn unto you, saith the LORD of hosts.
4
Be ye not as your fathers, unto whom the former prophets have cried, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Turn ye now from your evil ways, and from your evil doings: but they did not hear, nor hearken unto me, saith the LORD.
5
Your fathers, where are they? and the prophets, do they live for ever?
6
But my words and my statutes, which I commanded my servants the prophets, did they not take hold of your fathers? and they returned and said, Like as the LORD of hosts thought to do unto us, according to our ways, and according to our doings, so hath he dealt with us.
7
Upon the four and twentieth day of the eleventh month, which is the month Sebat, in the second year of Darius, came the word of the LORD unto Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, the son of Iddo the prophet, saying,
8
I saw by night, and behold a man riding upon a red horse, and he stood among the myrtle trees that were in the bottom; and behind him were there red horses, speckled, and white.
9
Then said I, O my lord, what are these? And the angel that talked with me said unto me, I will shew thee what these be.
10
And the man that stood among the myrtle trees answered and said, These are they whom the LORD hath sent to walk to and fro through the earth.
11
And they answered the angel of the LORD that stood among the myrtle trees, and said, We have walked to and fro through the earth, and, behold, all the earth sitteth still, and is at rest.
12
Then the angel of the LORD answered and said, O LORD of hosts, how long wilt thou not have mercy on Jerusalem and on the cities of Judah, against which thou hast had indignation these threescore and ten years?
13
And the LORD answered the angel that talked with me with good words and comfortable words.
14
So the angel that communed with me said unto me, Cry thou, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; I am jealous for Jerusalem and for Zion with a great jealousy.
15
And I am very sore displeased with the heathen that are at ease: for I was but a little displeased, and they helped forward the affliction.
16
Therefore thus saith the LORD; I am returned to Jerusalem with mercies: my house shall be built in it, saith the LORD of hosts, and a line shall be stretched forth upon Jerusalem.
17
Cry yet, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; My cities through prosperity shall yet be spread abroad; and the LORD shall yet comfort Zion, and shall yet choose Jerusalem.
18
Then lifted I up mine eyes, and saw, and behold four horns.
19
And I said unto the angel that talked with me, What be these? And he answered me, These are the horns which have scattered Judah, Israel, and Jerusalem.
20
And the LORD shewed me four carpenters.
21
Then said I, What come these to do? And he spake, saying, These are the horns which have scattered Judah, so that no man did lift up his head: but these are come to fray them, to cast out the horns of the Gentiles, which lifted up their horn over the land of Judah to scatter it.


1
I lifted up mine eyes again, and looked, and behold a man with a measuring line in his hand.
2
Then said I, Whither goest thou? And he said unto me, To measure Jerusalem, to see what is the breadth thereof, and what is the length thereof.
3
And, behold, the angel that talked with me went forth, and another angel went out to meet him,
4
And said unto him, Run, speak to this young man, saying, Jerusalem shall be inhabited as towns without walls for the multitude of men and cattle therein:
5
For I, saith the LORD, will be unto her a wall of fire round about, and will be the glory in the midst of her.
6
Ho, ho, come forth, and flee from the land of the north, saith the LORD: for I have spread you abroad as the four winds of the heaven, saith the LORD.
7
Deliver thyself, O Zion, that dwellest with the daughter of Babylon.
8
For thus saith the LORD of hosts; After the glory hath he sent me unto the nations which spoiled you: for he that toucheth you toucheth the apple of his eye.
9
For, behold, I will shake mine hand upon them, and they shall be a spoil to their servants: and ye shall know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me.
10
Sing and rejoice, O daughter of Zion: for, lo, I come, and I will dwell in the midst of thee, saith the LORD.
11
And many nations shall be joined to the LORD in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwell in the midst of thee, and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto thee.
12
And the LORD shall inherit Judah his portion in the holy land, and shall choose Jerusalem again.
13
Be silent, O all flesh, before the LORD: for he is raised up out of his holy habitation.


1
And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
2
And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?
3
Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel.
4
And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.
5
And I said, Let them set a fair mitre upon his head. So they set a fair mitre upon his head, and clothed him with garments. And the angel of the LORD stood by.
6
And the angel of the LORD protested unto Joshua, saying,
7
Thus saith the LORD of hosts; If thou wilt walk in my ways, and if thou wilt keep my charge, then thou shalt also judge my house, and shalt also keep my courts, and I will give thee places to walk among these that stand by.
8
Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH.
9
For behold the stone that I have laid before Joshua; upon one stone shall be seven eyes: behold, I will engrave the graving thereof, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day.
10
In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, shall ye call every man his neighbour under the vine and under the fig tree.




This evening, Revelation 17

1
And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:
2
With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.
3
So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.
4
And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:
5
And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
6
And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.
7
And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.
8
The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
9
And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.
10
And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.
11
And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.
12
And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.
13
These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast.
14
These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.
15
And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.
16
And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.
17
For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.
18
And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.