31 July 2017

Today's Readings and Stuff -- Monday, 31 July 2017

Running late on everything the last several days.  Perhaps tomorrow will be better.

Today is the last day in the month of July.  Lord willing, the calendar turns to August tonight.

Lord willing, tomorrow I have a friend coming by to help me apply some sealer to our leaky roof.  Dear Wife was able to locate and to acquire two 5-gallon buckets of some aluminized asphalt roof sealer.  List prices of this stuff can be as much as $95/ bucket, she was able to acquire them for less than a quarter of that.  I have to run out in a bit and buy a couple of the brushes (look like driveway brooms to me) that are needed to do the application.  He's lighter than I (and 15 years younger) so is probably a better choice for going up onto the ridge line of the roof.  We have a gap in the existing coverage there, a visible gap, which is Not A Good Thing.  We're hoping that it's a recent development and hasn't led to structural issues.  We hope. 

We've been overwhelmed with an avalanche of matters that are not tremendously important but are urgent (at least Wife thinks so) and which devour enormous amounts of time, attention, and energy. Which have eaten up the last 48-60 hours.  We got through it all, though I'm not sure that we have a whole lot to show for it, but we made it through.  More than that, I am reluctant to say.
I do find myself longing for an old-style "all day singing and dinner on the grounds" event.  With singing like this for example.

Yet in the midst of all this scurrying around and "busywork" etc., I  had a song in mind, and the memorable phrase from it ringing loud.  The song is "Like  A River Glorious", with the wonderful phrase, "stayed upon Jehovah ".    More completely,

Stayed upon Jehovah,
Hearts are fully blessed;
Finding as He promised,
Perfect peace and rest.

That's pretty good, isn't it?  If we are truly stayed upon Him, then no matter what the storms of life, all the busyness that threatens to divert our focus, falls into its proper place and is viewed with the proper perspective on things.
And made possible by Him.  But we have to want it, to earnestly desire it.

======================================
==============================================
 The Old Testament readings are Psalms 62, 63, and 64.
Am I the only one who reads verse 2 of Psalm 62 and immediately wants to sing, "I Shall Not Be Moved"??


Psalm 62
1 Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation. 2 He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved. 3 How long will ye imagine mischief against a man? ye shall be slain all of you: as a bowing wall shall ye be, and as a tottering fence. 4 They only consult to cast him down from his excellency: they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly. Selah. 5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. 6 He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved. 7 In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. 8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah. 9 Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity. 10 Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them. 11 God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God. 12 Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

Psalm 63
1 O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; 2 To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary. 3 Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee. 4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name. 5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips: 6 When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches. 7 Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice. 8 My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me. 9 But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth. 10 They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes. 11 But the king shall rejoice in God; every one that sweareth by him shall glory: but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped.

Psalm 64
1 Hear my voice, O God, in my prayer: preserve my life from fear of the enemy. 2 Hide me from the secret counsel of the wicked; from the insurrection of the workers of iniquity: 3 Who whet their tongue like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows, even bitter words: 4 That they may shoot in secret at the perfect: suddenly do they shoot at him, and fear not. 5 They encourage themselves in an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them? 6 They search out iniquities; they accomplish a diligent search: both the inward thought of every one of them, and the heart, is deep. 7 But God shall shoot at them with an arrow; suddenly shall they be wounded. 8 So they shall make their own tongue to fall upon themselves: all that see them shall flee away. 9 And all men shall fear, and shall declare the work of God; for they shall wisely consider of his doing. 10 The righteous shall be glad in the LORD, and shall trust in him; and all the upright in heart shall glory.


==========================================
========================================

Our reading this morning takes us into a new adventure.  Chapter 1 of the Epistle to the Romans.
Every verse, every phrase, every word of this is important.
Some years ago, I was given a study Bible for Christmas.  The commentator noted a story of a pastor and Bible teacher.  That person had stepped into the pulpit one Sunday, and his text was verse 1 of Romans 1.   Period.  The next Sunday, the text was Romans chapter 1 verse 2, and he didn't quite finish it.  The third week, he completed verse 2 and began verse 3.  And so it continue for some 3-1/2 YEARS!  NEVER leaving the Epistle to the Romans.  And, in that time, the church exploded!  They ran  out of room to hold all those worshiping and hearing the Word of God!
That is how significant this work is.
I am not nearly so gifted, nor called to preach.  And for purposes of this blog, we'll  have to go through more quickly.  But I earnestly entreat anyone who comes by to treat this text reverently and attentively.  The Lord is speaking to us, to all of us, through it.  Treat  it accordingly. 

Romans 1
1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, 2 (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) 3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; 4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead: 5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name: 6 Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ: 7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. 8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. 9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers; 10 Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you. 11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established; 12 That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me. 13 Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles. 14 I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise. 15 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also. 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; 19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. 24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. 26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. 28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.