19 July 2017

Today's Readings and Stuff -- Wednesday, 19 July 2017

Another of "those" days is upon us.
In a short while, we intend to depart, headed out on a trip, another doctor's appointment for her.  It's not a horrible drive, not like driving from Cleveland to Columbus or from Gary, IN to Evansville, or the like.  But it's a good 35 minutes under the best of conditions.  And we won't have the best of conditions.  In NE Ohio, the joke is that there are four seasons:

  1. Almost Winter
  2. Winter
  3. Still Winter
  4. Road construction
Well, we're definitely into the 4th of these.  Our journey yesterday wasn't awful, but we were in and out of numerous of these road construction locations.  The law, as well as good sense, mandates that you slow down and be aware of workers and construction equipment in addition to the road and lanes and other drivers.  Some of our fellow citizens haven't gotten the word on any of that, so it gets scary.  Not far from here, about 15 miles west on I-76, on one afternoon alone they had three bad wrecks, with injuries involving ambulances and at least one helicopter.  One of those wrecks involved EIGHT vehicles.  Another had an SUV drive up under the back of a semi trailer.  Wasn't good.
Doesn't help that the state DOT is not and has never been known for good project planning or even half-decent engineering, so there's plenty of blame to go around.
And today, we'll have to go through several of these truly awful zones.  NOT looking forward to it.
The appointment on Friday morning will also route us through some of the worst of it.  Same for the appointments next Tuesday and Wednesday.  Yes, it's the month of doctor's offices for us.

Then, about 2 hours after we should get back home, off again.  This time to a funeral.  Road should be clear enough, but the circumstances and old bitter agendas will probably be on display as is too often the case.  I had met the deceased.  Once or twice, the last time probably being around 25 years ago or so.  I can't speak about the man with any certainty whatever.  I know that there are a lot, a whole lot, of long-standing issues with lots of bitterness and hidden issues.   Seems to be pretty common around here.  Not much to be said about the love of Christ or the faith that transforms us by the Lord's power.  Mostly hopelessness and sorrow and old issues with some bitterness.  And no hope.  No knowledge of the Lord, so that's not surprising.

Yes, it gets to a person.  Perhaps it should, perhaps it should motivate us to point to the real hope, that is in Jesus.

==============================================
==============================================

Our reading in the Old Testament is Psalms 28, 29, and 30

Psalm 28
1 Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit. 2 Hear the voice of my supplications, when I cry unto thee, when I lift up my hands toward thy holy oracle. 3 Draw me not away with the wicked, and with the workers of iniquity, which speak peace to their neighbours, but mischief is in their hearts. 4 Give them according to their deeds, and according to the wickedness of their endeavours: give them after the work of their hands; render to them their desert. 5 Because they regard not the works of the LORD, nor the operation of his hands, he shall destroy them, and not build them up. 6 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. 7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him. 8 The LORD is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed. 9 Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up for ever.


Psalm 29
1 Give unto the LORD, O ye mighty, give unto the LORD glory and strength. 2 Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness. 3 The voice of the LORD is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the LORD is upon many waters. 4 The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is full of majesty. 5 The voice of the LORD breaketh the cedars; yea, the LORD breaketh the cedars of Lebanon. 6 He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn. 7 The voice of the LORD divideth the flames of fire. 8 The voice of the LORD shaketh the wilderness; the LORD shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh. 9 The voice of the LORD maketh the hinds to calve, and discovereth the forests: and in his temple doth every one speak of his glory. 10 The LORD sitteth upon the flood; yea, the LORD sitteth King for ever. 11 The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace.


Psalm 30
1 I will extol thee, O LORD; for thou hast lifted me up, and hast not made my foes to rejoice over me. 2 O LORD my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me. 3 O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit. 4 Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness. 5 For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. 6 And in my prosperity I said, I shall never be moved. 7 LORD, by thy favour thou hast made my mountain to stand strong: thou didst hide thy face, and I was troubled. 8 I cried to thee, O LORD; and unto the LORD I made supplication. 9 What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit? Shall the dust praise thee? shall it declare thy truth? 10 Hear, O LORD, and have mercy upon me: LORD, be thou my helper. 11 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; 12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.



=============================
=================================

Our reading in the New Testament is verses 1-14 in chapter 21 of the Acts of the Apostles.
The road of a dedicated follower of Christ is often hard.

Acts 21:1-14
1 And it came to pass, that after we were gotten from them, and had launched, we came with a straight course unto Coos, and the day following unto Rhodes, and from thence unto Patara: 2 And finding a ship sailing over unto Phenicia, we went aboard, and set forth. 3 Now when we had discovered Cyprus, we left it on the left hand, and sailed into Syria, and landed at Tyre: for there the ship was to unlade her burden. 4 And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem. 5 And when we had accomplished those days, we departed and went our way; and they all brought us on our way, with wives and children, till we were out of the city: and we kneeled down on the shore, and prayed. 6 And when we had taken our leave one of another, we took ship; and they returned home again. 7 And when we had finished our course from Tyre, we came to Ptolemais, and saluted the brethren, and abode with them one day. 8 And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him. 9 And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy. 10 And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus. 11 And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles. 12 And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem. 13 Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus. 14 And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.