11 April 2018

Today's Readings and Stuff --- Wednesday, 11 April 2018

Happy Wednesday to all.
Last evening we had a real scare.  Our small hovel has us eating on a small round dinner table.  Works good for just the two of us and takes little space, which is important in our cramped digs.  But, right beside Wife's chair is a floor register.  I'd had to replace that grate about a year and a half ago, and money was, as usual, VERY tight.  So I bought what we could afford, a real cheap one from WallyMart.  Works.  Did, anyway.  Until Wife set one of her chair legs on the middle of it and sat down.  Bending it in some real complex ways.  I bent it back as best as I could.  With admonitions to watch where walking.  Which hasn't happened.  Last night, she got up, not watching where she was going at all, and plunged through, with most of her lower leg down in the "well".  I truly feared a broken leg, always a danger when someone suffers a brittle bone condition as she does.  We got her out of it (not easy, believe me) and, finally and with much effort, up and back on her recliner. 
She's legally blind, and really can't see downward at all: her field of view is comparable to what you see looking through binoculars.  So long as she remembered to avoid that spot, it was OK.  But "situational awareness" isn't her strongest point.  We have another register grate of the same size, in the living room area where we have the soft floor covered with some 4' x 4' x 1" boards.  So, to buy time until next week when the Social Security hits, I swapped the grates and covered the hole in the living room floor with the board again.  It'll work, we hope.

Niece & family, including her husband's ENTIRE family (his mom and dad, his brother and his wife and their kids, his sisters and their husband and THEIR kids) are heading out tomorrow noonish for a big gathering in Florida.  Wife and I never had the money to do anything of the kind, nor did my parents, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc.  So we'll be watching the house, getting the mail, letting the dog in and out, feeding their dog and their two (fat) cats, etc.  Wife had promised to "watch" the kids this afternoon for a few hours, Niece is "getting her hours in" so as to lose nothing while vacationing.        Her husband is on vacation as of 6 p.m. today, and all next week as well. 

Need to add to the "books I'm reading" list on the sidebar.  (Yes, I hadn't updated it in quite a long time, back in the days I was writing some book reviews).
These days, what with VERY limited funds, to say the least, the public library is my friend.  The availability of e-books supplements both the limited stock at the branch nearest us as well as the entire county-wide system and the state-wide inter-library-loan arrangement (a good one by the way).  The e-books are, of course, a bit short on photos, diagrams, and drawings, but that comes with the territory.  There are apps -- free ones -- that work on my 4-1/2 year old smart phone and tablet that will enable use about anywhere and a phone is a lot lighter than a 400-page book.  So I have that option available.  I like the feel of paper, so I do both.

  • Reading The Bible With Rabbi Jesus  by Lois Tverberg.  Subtitled "How a Jewish perspective can transform your understanding".   Ms. Tverberg has an approach similar to that of Ray Vander Laan, one that I find to be both interesting and immensely valuable.   I have this as an e-book, available through the Hoopla app at the local library.
  • GOD Help Me Through Today  by Bob Lively.  Subtitled "Psalm 23 Revisited".
  • The Art Of Prayer by Timothy Jones.  Subtitled "A Simple Guide To Conversation With God".  There are very few disciplines and practices as important as prayer.  We, to include me certainly, neglect it at our peril.  Will we fill our minds and fix our attention on Him and our relationship with Him?  Or not?  For if we do not, certainly other things will rush to occupy that space and that attention.
  • The Gift Of The Magi And Other Stories by O. Henry.  This is one of those "classics" that I'd never gotten around to.  Now I have time.  And desire.


====================================
=====================================


Joshua 13
1  Now Joshua was old and stricken in years; and the Lord said unto him, Thou art old and stricken in years, and there remaineth yet very much land to be possessed.
2  This is the land that yet remaineth: all the borders of the Philistines, and all Geshuri,
3  From Sihor, which is before Egypt, even unto the borders of Ekron northward, which is counted to the Canaanite: five lords of the Philistines; the Gazites, and the Ashdothites, the Eshkalonites, the Gittites, and the Ekronites; also the Avites:
4  From the south, all the land of the Canaanites, and Mearah that is beside the Sidonians, unto Aphek, to the borders of the Amorites:
5  And the land of the Giblites, and all Lebanon, toward the sunrising, from Baal–gad under mount Hermon unto the entering into Hamath.
6  All the inhabitants of the hill country from Lebanon unto Misrephoth–maim, and all the Sidonians, them will I drive out from before the children of Israel: only divide thou it by lot unto the Israelites for an inheritance, as I have commanded thee.
7  Now therefore divide this land for an inheritance unto the nine tribes, and the half tribe of Manasseh,
8  With whom the Reubenites and the Gadites have received their inheritance, which Moses gave them, beyond Jordan eastward, even as Moses the servant of the Lord gave them;
9  From Aroer, that is upon the bank of the river Arnon, and the city that is in the midst of the river, and all the plain of Medeba unto Dibon;
10  And all the cities of Sihon king of the Amorites, which reigned in Heshbon, unto the border of the children of Ammon;
11  And Gilead, and the border of the Geshurites and Maachathites, and all mount Hermon, and all Bashan unto Salecah;
12  All the kingdom of Og in Bashan, which reigned in Ashtaroth and in Edrei, who remained of the remnant of the giants: for these did Moses smite, and cast them out.
13  Nevertheless the children of Israel expelled not the Geshurites, nor the Maachathites: but the Geshurites and the Maachathites dwell among the Israelites until this day.
14  Only unto the tribe of Levi he gave none inheritance; the sacrifices of the Lord God of Israel made by fire are their inheritance, as he said unto them.
15  And Moses gave unto the tribe of the children of Reuben inheritance according to their families.
16  And their coast was from Aroer, that is on the bank of the river Arnon, and the city that is in the midst of the river, and all the plain by Medeba;
17  Heshbon, and all her cities that are in the plain; Dibon, and Bamoth–baal, and Beth–baal–meon,
18  And Jahzah, and Kedemoth, and Mephaath,
19  And Kiriathaim, and Sibmah, and Zereth–shahar in the mount of the valley,
20  And Beth–peor, and Ashdoth–pisgah, and Beth–jeshimoth,Ashdoth–pisgah: or, springs of Pisgah, or, the hill
21  And all the cities of the plain, and all the kingdom of Sihon king of the Amorites, which reigned in Heshbon, whom Moses smote with the princes of Midian, Evi, and Rekem, and Zur, and Hur, and Reba, which were dukes of Sihon, dwelling in the country.
22  Balaam also the son of Beor, the soothsayer, did the children of Israel slay with the sword among them that were slain by them.soothsayer: or, diviner
23  And the border of the children of Reuben was Jordan, and the border thereof. This was the inheritance of the children of Reuben after their families, the cities and the villages thereof.
24  And Moses gave inheritance unto the tribe of Gad, even unto the children of Gad according to their families.
25  And their coast was Jazer, and all the cities of Gilead, and half the land of the children of Ammon, unto Aroer that is before Rabbah;
26  And from Heshbon unto Ramath–mizpeh, and Betonim; and from Mahanaim unto the border of Debir;
27  And in the valley, Beth–haram, and Beth–nimrah, and Succoth, and Zaphon, the rest of the kingdom of Sihon king of Heshbon, Jordan and his border, even unto the edge of the sea of Chinnereth on the other side Jordan eastward.
28  This is the inheritance of the children of Gad after their families, the cities, and their villages.
29  And Moses gave inheritance unto the half tribe of Manasseh: and this was the possession of the half tribe of the children of Manasseh by their families.
30  And their coast was from Mahanaim, all Bashan, all the kingdom of Og king of Bashan, and all the towns of Jair, which are in Bashan, threescore cities:
31  And half Gilead, and Ashtaroth, and Edrei, cities of the kingdom of Og in Bashan, were pertaining unto the children of Machir the son of Manasseh, even to the one half of the children of Machir by their families.
32  These are the countries which Moses did distribute for inheritance in the plains of Moab, on the other side Jordan, by Jericho, eastward.
33  But unto the tribe of Levi Moses gave not any inheritance: the Lord God of Israel was their inheritance, as he said unto them.


Joshua 14
1  And these are the countries which the children of Israel inherited in the land of Canaan, which Eleazar the priest, and Joshua the son of Nun, and the heads of the fathers of the tribes of the children of Israel, distributed for inheritance to them.
2  By lot was their inheritance, as the Lord commanded by the hand of Moses, for the nine tribes, and for the half tribe.
3  For Moses had given the inheritance of two tribes and an half tribe on the other side Jordan: but unto the Levites he gave none inheritance among them.
4  For the children of Joseph were two tribes, Manasseh and Ephraim: therefore they gave no part unto the Levites in the land, save cities to dwell in, with their suburbs for their cattle and for their substance.
5  As the Lord commanded Moses, so the children of Israel did, and they divided the land.
Then the children of Judah came unto Joshua in Gilgal: and Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite said unto him, Thou knowest the thing that the Lord said unto Moses the man of God concerning me and thee in Kadesh–barnea.
7  Forty years old was I when Moses the servant of the Lord sent me from Kadesh–barnea to espy out the land; and I brought him word again as it was in mine heart.
8  Nevertheless my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I wholly followed the Lord my God.
9  And Moses sware on that day, saying, Surely the land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children's for ever, because thou hast wholly followed the Lord my God.
10  And now, behold, the Lord hath kept me alive, as he said, these forty and five years, even since the Lord spake this word unto Moses, while the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness: and now, lo, I am this day fourscore and five years old.
11  As yet I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in.
12  Now therefore give me this mountain, whereof the Lord spake in that day; for thou heardest in that day how the Anakims were there, and that the cities were great and fenced: if so be the Lord will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the Lord said.
13  And Joshua blessed him, and gave unto Caleb the son of Jephunneh Hebron for an inheritance.
14  Hebron therefore became the inheritance of Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite unto this day, because that he wholly followed the Lord God of Israel.
15  And the name of Hebron before was Kirjath–arba; which Arba was a great man among the Anakims. And the land had rest from war.



==================================
===================================
Today, Psalm 73, identified as "as Psalm of Asaph".  Asaph was one of those assigned as worship leaders in the tabernacle choir.  (See 1st Chronicles 6:31-32 for instance).  He is also elsewhere listed as a prophet.  There are several Psalms ascribed to him (50, 73-83).  Quite an individual.



Psalm 73
A Psalm of Asaph.
 
1  Truly God is good to Israel, even to such as are of a clean heart.
But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped.
3  For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
4  For there are no bands in their death: but their strength is firm.
They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they plagued like other men.
Therefore pride compasseth them about as a chain; violence covereth them as a garment.
7  Their eyes stand out with fatness: they have more than heart could wish.
They are corrupt, and speak wickedly concerning oppression: they speak loftily.
9  They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth.
10  Therefore his people return hither: and waters of a full cup are wrung out to them.
11  And they say, How doth God know? and is there knowledge in the most High?
12  Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches.
13  Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency.
14  For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning.
15  If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children.
16  When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me;
17  Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.
18  Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction.
19  How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors.
20  As a dream when one awaketh; so, O Lord, when thou awakest, thou shalt despise their image.
21  Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins.
22  So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee.
23  Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand.
24  Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.
25  Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.
26  My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.
27  For, lo, they that are far from thee shall perish: thou hast destroyed all them that go a whoring from thee.
28  But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord God, that I may declare all thy works.



=================================
================================


John 5
1  After this there was a feast of the Jews; and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
2  Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches.
3  In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water.
4  For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.
5  And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years.
6  When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole?
7  The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me.
8  Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.
9  And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath.
10  The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed.
11  He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk.
12  Then asked they him, What man is that which said unto thee, Take up thy bed, and walk?
13  And he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place.
14  Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.
15  The man departed, and told the Jews that it was Jesus, which had made him whole.
16  And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.
17  But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.
18  Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.
19  Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.
20  For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.
21  For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.
22  For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.
24  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
25  Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
26  For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
27  And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.
28  Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29  And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
30  I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
31  If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.
32  There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true.
33  Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.
34  But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.
35  He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.
36  But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.
37  And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.
38  And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.
39  Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
40  And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
41  I receive not honour from men.
42  But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.
43  I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
44  How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?
45  Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.
46  For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
47  But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?




No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.