15 August 2019

Today's Readings and Stuff -- Thursday, 15 August 2019

Halfway through August now.  The Autumnal Equinox, the official first day of Fall, is just about a month hence.   With the warm days the last few weeks, it can be hard to acknowledge the sad fact that it won't be long until those green leaves are gone, the flowers as well, and the green grass is buried under a foot (or more) of snow.  Oh well.  Part of the price of living around here.

Wife sent me to the local grocery this afternoon for milk and bread and a couple other necessities.  The retirement check is still a week away so we're counting the pennies carefully.  Part of life.
But I found myself looking at the houses and fields as I passed by.  The route I took goes by farm fields, some abandoned properties, and houses that run the range from reasonably nice to in disrepair.  I don't know what goes on behind those walls, the stories of the people who live there or did, the stories behind the abandoned buildings and businesses.  God does.  Job's "friends", even his own wife, did not really know what was going on.  Job didn't either.  But he was wise enough to continue to trust the Lord, to trust His heart, even when he didn't know what the whole story was or what the Lord was planning.
I don't know the whole story of what the Lord is up to.  No one does.  But we do know something of His nature, even when all seems to be dark and hopeless.  That is a great plus.
What the account does not reveal is the whole story of how Job was changed by this experience.  I have to believe that it changed him, in some way even if it was "only" a reinforcement of his faith.  How did it change those who were watching?  Like his wife?  Like his "friends"?  I have to believe that it affected them as well.  Perhaps that called them to faith and to a closer walk with the Lord, something that might not have happened otherwise.  Does that not, perhaps, make it worth it?


===================

Job 11

1Then answered Zophar the Naamathite, and said,
2Should not the multitude of words be answered? and should a man full of talk be justified?
3Should thy lies make men hold their peace? and when thou mockest, shall no man make thee ashamed?
4For thou hast said, My doctrine is pure, and I am clean in thine eyes.
5But oh that God would speak, and open his lips against thee;
6And that he would shew thee the secrets of wisdom, that they are double to that which is! Know therefore that God exacteth of thee less than thine iniquity deserveth.
7Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection?
8It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know?
9The measure thereof is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea.
10If he cut off, and shut up, or gather together, then who can hinder him?
11For he knoweth vain men: he seeth wickedness also; will he not then consider it?
12For vain man would be wise, though man be born like a wild ass's colt.
13If thou prepare thine heart, and stretch out thine hands toward him;
14If iniquity be in thine hand, put it far away, and let not wickedness dwell in thy tabernacles.
15For then shalt thou lift up thy face without spot; yea, thou shalt be stedfast, and shalt not fear:
16Because thou shalt forget thy misery, and remember it as waters that pass away:
17And thine age shall be clearer than the noonday; thou shalt shine forth, thou shalt be as the morning.
18And thou shalt be secure, because there is hope; yea, thou shalt dig about thee, and thou shalt take thy rest in safety.
19Also thou shalt lie down, and none shall make thee afraid; yea, many shall make suit unto thee.
20But the eyes of the wicked shall fail, and they shall not escape, and their hope shall be as the giving up of the ghost.



Job 12

1And Job answered and said,
2No doubt but ye are the people, and wisdom shall die with you.
3But I have understanding as well as you; I am not inferior to you: yea, who knoweth not such things as these?
4I am as one mocked of his neighbour, who calleth upon God, and he answereth him: the just upright man is laughed to scorn.
5He that is ready to slip with his feet is as a lamp despised in the thought of him that is at ease.
6The tabernacles of robbers prosper, and they that provoke God are secure; into whose hand God bringeth abundantly.
7But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee:
8Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee.
9Who knoweth not in all these that the hand of the Lord hath wrought this?
10In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind.
11Doth not the ear try words? and the mouth taste his meat?
12With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.
13With him is wisdom and strength, he hath counsel and understanding.
14Behold, he breaketh down, and it cannot be built again: he shutteth up a man, and there can be no opening.
15Behold, he withholdeth the waters, and they dry up: also he sendeth them out, and they overturn the earth.
16With him is strength and wisdom: the deceived and the deceiver are his.
17He leadeth counsellors away spoiled, and maketh the judges fools.
18He looseth the bond of kings, and girdeth their loins with a girdle.
19He leadeth princes away spoiled, and overthroweth the mighty.
20He removeth away the speech of the trusty, and taketh away the understanding of the aged.
21He poureth contempt upon princes, and weakeneth the strength of the mighty.
22He discovereth deep things out of darkness, and bringeth out to light the shadow of death.
23He increaseth the nations, and destroyeth them: he enlargeth the nations, and straiteneth them again.
24He taketh away the heart of the chief of the people of the earth, and causeth them to wander in a wilderness where there is no way.
25They grope in the dark without light, and he maketh them to stagger like a drunken man.



-=====================

Psalm 142

Maschil of David; A Prayer when he was in the cave.
1I cried unto the Lord with my voice; with my voice unto the Lord did I make my supplication.
2I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble.
3When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me.
4I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul.
5I cried unto thee, O Lord: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living.
6Attend unto my cry; for I am brought very low: deliver me from my persecutors; for they are stronger than I.
7Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise thy name: the righteous shall compass me about; for thou shalt deal bountifully with me.



========================

Galatians 1

1Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)
2And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia:
3Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ,
4Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:
5To whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
6I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
7Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
10For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
11But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
13For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
14And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.
15But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,
16To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:
17Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.
18Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.
19But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.
20Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not.
21Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and Cilicia;
22And was unknown by face unto the churches of Judaea which were in Christ:
23But they had heard only, That he which persecuted us in times past now preacheth the faith which once he destroyed.
24And they glorified God in me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.