01 January 2007

Today's Reading - Jan 01

My first obligation is to the Lord. Everything else is secondary, even my beloved wife and family. Politics, various earthly efforts and controversies have a place well behind them, and while they will continue to have a place here, they will and must remain lesser in importance to Him.

In an earlier period of my life, I was greatly privileged to be associated with the Gideons International. I commend them to you as an organization worth supporting, either personally or through your local church. One of the things that they publish, in addition to the Bibles given out and placed in hotels, is a very worthwhile schedule that will let you read through the Bible in a year. I've been using it for more than ten years now, it is worth your consideration. The entire year's schedule can be seen on their web site at http://www.gideons.org

For January 1:
Morning Genesis 1, 2
Evening Matthew 1


There are links at their site that will also take you to a King James translation of the readings for the day. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Dear TN, Happy Blessed New Year to you and your beautiful daughters and wife. I too have two daughters, a little older, 22 and 29. The 29-year-old treated us to two nights at beautiful hotel, link below. Christmas Eve after we worshipped together, I could not find my Bible. Christmas morning about 6am, realized must have left Bible at church, so put on floor-length mink coat with my slippers and sunglasses (no makeup) and went to desk clerk, asking for a Bible as there was none in room. Very, very nice hotel front desk gentlemen said they would look for one for me. Thanked them and told them, I was going to get coffee.

    When I returned with my coffee, they apologized profusely, but said could not find one. "Owner is Jewish," I was told. Said that's fine, Old Testament would do. Long story short, will take them one next time I am near Santa Monica, but we all got some friendly smiles from these sweet young gentlemen! Below is link in case you know a Gideon person here. Love your blog name! Please hug all three of your girls for me! Blessings.

    http://www.hotelcasadelmar.com/home/home.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind message. I have forwarded your comments to the good people at the Gideons organization and I think we can promise that an attempt will be made to contact the establishment.
    As I'm sure you know, the placement of Bibles is completely at the option of the business owner. The Gideons International has no means or intention of forcing this service on any business owner. At the same time the members are grateful for the opportunity to place God's word anywhere possible.
    May your day and your year be blessed.

    ReplyDelete

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.