03 June 2007

This morning's reading from the Old Testament comes from Second Chronicles chapters 10, 11, and 12.
Solomon has died and his son has taken the throne. And immediately trouble starts, the kingdom is divided in two, and things head downhill fast. The old enemies immediately attack and the whole thing gets real bad.
A lot of good record here, but one verse stands out for me, from chapter 12:

14 And he did evil, because he prepared not his heart to seek the LORD.


This evening's reading from the New testament is from the Gospel of John, chapter 13, verses 18 through 38.
We're still at the meaning-laden last supper, and encounter what are, for many of us, very familiar territory:
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
36 Simon Peter said unto him, Lord, whither goest thou? Jesus answered him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow me now; but thou shalt follow me afterwards.
37 Peter said unto him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will lay down my life for thy sake.
38 Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.