07 July 2007

Today's Reading July 07

G'morning, all. It's just after 3 am here
Back on January 01 we started out on a through-the-Bible in a year journey. See how far we've come in just a short while every day? It's not an impossible task, particularly as the Lord guides us through. And He definitely will do that.
--
This morning's reading is the next-to-last day in Job. This is one of the books of the Bible that has long had great meaning for me.
Today we look into chapters 35, 36, and 37. Elihu, the young man, speaks on behalf of the Lord. This is the last speech given here by any of Job's ''friends'', and it contains some nuggets, some recognition that God's ways are not our ways, His perspective a whole other thing. From chapter 35,

2 Thinkest thou this to be right, that thou saidst, My righteousness is more than God's?
3 For thou saidst, What advantage will it be unto thee? and, What profit shall I have, if I be cleansed from my sin?
and from chapter 36,
2 Suffer me a little, and I will shew thee that I have yet to speak on God's behalf.
3 I will fetch my knowledge from afar, and will ascribe righteousness to my Maker.
and
4 Hearken unto this, O Job: stand still, and consider the wondrous works of God.

All of which goes to this: God is not just a long-lived human being with great power and lifespan. He is much much more than that, of another sort entirely, and we do wrong to approach Him as if He were.

---
This evening we take up another section of the Acts, chapter 14 this time.
More of an early missionary trip, with opposition and persecution, and also great success.
2 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.
23 And when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.