04 July 2007

Today's Reading July 4th

Good morning
--
This morning we continue in Job, chapters 29 and 30.
Job spends chapter 29 looking back at the joy of his previous life, with longing
Chapter 30 is a recitation of his current situation with a great deal of imagery

25 Did not I weep for him that was in trouble? was not my soul grieved for the poor?
26 When I looked for good, then evil came unto me: and when I waited for light, there came darkness.
27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
28 I went mourning without the sun: I stood up, and I cried in the congregation.
29 I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls.
30 My skin is black upon me, and my bones are burned with heat.
31 My harp also is turned to mourning, and my organ into the voice of them that weep.

And if you haven't been there, hang on, you will be. We are nowhere guaranteed a life of ease and plenty. I don't care what the 'TV Preachers' say, it's just not so. There is a place for the ''blab it and grab it'' types, but you don't want to be there.
--
This evening we continue in the Acts of the Apostles, chapter 12.
Persecution of the Church really begins (see above for perspective) starting with an execution. Peter is thrown into prison. But an angel gets him out, and Herod dies in a terrible way. And the result of all of this?
24 But the word of God grew and multiplied.
25 And Barnabas and Saul returned from Jerusalem, when they had fulfilled their ministry, and took with them John, whose surname was Mark.

A new phase begins. But James, the brother of John, is dead. Did that mean the Lord was displeased with him? Not at all. And see Job, above, for reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.