14 July 2007

Today's Reading July 14

A bit late today, the last two days were rather high stress and very long. Today was little better though it did not involve 450 miles of driving through some highly variable state highways in Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama. I've gotten spoiled by the Interstates, and there are places you can't fly to. So, a long drive, a layover in a Super-8 motel with lumpy mattresses and a surly night clerk, no breakfast, a tense interview meeting, no lunch, and another 450 mile drive. And an on-line appointment shortly after 7:00am that just ended. So, my apologies.
--
Today's Old Testament portion: Psalms 13, 14, 15, and 16.
There is a practice that I can recommend, because I have done - and sometimes do - myself. That is to pray the Psalms. These are good examples of ones to pray when you are in distress of any kind (the natural state I think).

Chapter 13
1 How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?
3 Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;
4 Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved.
5 But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.
6 I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.

When you're in trouble and in fear, praise God.
--
the New Testament portion is Acts chapter 18.
the missionary efforts are bearing fruit and the converts are preaching to others who are converted, who preach to others and .... when we say that the message is powerful, it's not an exaggeration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.