11 July 2007

Today's Reading June 11

Good morning.
Before we get started, a personal appeal. The next week or so will be a very high stress time for me. The company that moved me a third of the way across the company entered into a period of restructuring less than a year later, and I have been unemployed for two months now. I have a telephone interview on Thursday morning, then on Thursday will make a 450-mile drive to interview Friday with another company, then on Wednesday morning will fly to yet another interview with yet another. This is for obvious reasons a very high stress time. We have in the last 15 years moved across state lines 4 times and are looking at a 5th such. And my story is not unique, I know of people who have had to move every 15-18 months for 8 or 10 years as their employers move to China and Mexico. So pray for us - this is very hard on the family.
------
--------
This morning we continue in the Psalms, chapters 4, 5, and 6.
I love the Psalms, many people do.

Chapter 6
1 O LORD, rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.
2 Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed.
3 My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long?
4 Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake.
5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?
6 I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears.
7 Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxeth old because of all mine enemies.
8 Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping.
9 The LORD hath heard my supplication; the LORD will receive my prayer.
10 Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly.


I know that the Lord has heard my cries. There have been times, many, in my life that I doubt that any one person saw my distress, or cared to look, or would have cared one bit had it been seen. But the Lord knew, and cared, and carried me through. He does that, you know.
----------
----------
Acts, chapter 16, verses 16 through 40
Paul and Silas are beaten and cast into prison. But that's not the end of the story.

25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
26 And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed.
27 And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled.
28 But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here.
29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.
33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.

The jailer asked the right question. And Paul and Silas gave the right answer.
Our faith is not terribly complicated.

4 comments:

  1. Do you think the writer is attempting to bargain with God in vs 4-5? Is it ok to bargain with God? Does God strike deals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good questions all. Very good. Thank you.
    'Do you think the writer is attempting to bargain with God in vs 4-5? '' Perhaps. People in great distress do weird things - I know I have. But it also may simply be that he is pleading with God, and many of us have done that. I certainly have, and I give thanks that He has made it possible to have a relationship with Him such that I can come to Him when I'm in distress.

    Is it ok to bargain with God? No. But has anyone ever not done so? Realistically, what do I have to offer Him? Fake affection? Money?

    Does God strike deals?
    Perhaps. Look at 2Chronicles 7:14. Is He offering a deal, or a promise? Is a covenant a deal? I don't know. Is Salvation a deal?
    More to the point, you and I can negotiate, as equals, and strike a deal. Bargaining with God as if we were equal strikes me as being irreverent. We're not equal, never will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but I believe God is a covenant God. We see God making a covenant with Abraham, with Noah, etc. When God made the blood covenant with Abraham, Abraham realized who he was cutting a covenant with and became deathly afraid. God cut a covenant with Moses on behalf of the Hebrew people and the people kept the written document in the arc of the covenant. You are right, we have nothing to offer God....but ourselves - which God does not force upon us. We must freely give ourselves to Him...we get the better end of the deal in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lord is indeed a covenant God. Absolutely. And because He regards the matter highly, we should too.
    And again, yes, we get the better part of the deal. A number of years ago, I was privileged to listen in a meeting as Dr. Al vom Steeg, then a leader with the Mission Society for United Methodists (good group, by the way) reminded us that ''Jesus came to earth for us, and by all human standards He got NOTHING out of the experience. Except to suffer and die for us. Except to be obedient to the Father.''
    Realistically, I can't bargain with God - I have nothing to bargain with. All that I am, all that I have, all that I ever become, are His, and in Him. Even keeping that covenant is impossible without Him.
    But that is all He asks.
    We are blessed.

    ReplyDelete

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.