17 July 2007

Today's Reading July 17

Sorry for the lateness of the hour, the day started badly and has gotten no better along the way. And I have an early flight out in the morning and a late flight back. I will be traveling a good bit over the next week as I continue to job-hunt. Please pray for us. This is hard on the family, hard on me, hard on my beloved wife particularly. One of our pastors once referred to me as a Job. I don't know about that - the Bible refers to him as a righteous man and I have far to go in that regard. So pray for us.
--
The day's Old Testament sections include some of my very favorites from the Psalms, we have today Psalm 22, 23, and 24. The 23rd Psalm is one of the most familiar passages in all of Scripture, certainly in the Old Testament. Perhaps less familiar are those flanking it. I had the assignment when a much younger person to memorize the 24th Psalm. In that time, in that denomination, memorization of portions of the Bible was just something we did, and I am grateful for it. Those passages have a way of coming to the fore when circumstances are appropriate, but are only in your mind if you put them there and were intentional in doing so. Hence, from Psalm 22:

1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
Matt 27:46 Mark 15:34
Sound familiar? as in, the words of Jesus on the cross? or
18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
Matt 27:35 John 19:24
.
Enjoy these, they have often been a great comfort to me.
--
Our New Testament portion is from the Acts, chapter 20, verses 1 through 16. This contains the account that we learned of as kids, Paul preaching and a young man sitting in a high place to hear, falling asleep, falling down to his death. And God, working through the Apostle, brought him back to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.