30 July 2007

Today's Reading July 30

This morning, we turn to Psalms 59, 60, and 61
My current favorite study Bible, a New King James, has some comments for each of these. For Psalm 59, it says '' .... of David when Saul sent men, and they watched the house in order to kill him.'' He was right in the midst of trouble, and so he prayed, and recorded it. For Psalm 60, the comment says in part, '' ... When he fought against Mesopotamia and Syria of Zobah, and Joab returned and killed twelve thousand Edomites in the Valley of Salt.'' I am reminded that I have not really made a song, a record, of the times that the Lord has given me the victory in a hopeless situation. But David did, his Psalms are a record of where he has been and what God has done for him.


Chapter 61
1 Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.
2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
3 For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.
4 I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.
5 For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name.

----------- --------------

This evening's New Testament reading completes the final chapter of the book of the Acts, chapter 28 verses 16 through 31. Paul is in Rome, treated essentially as a high-ranking prisoner. He is visited by the Jewish religious leaders and while some receive him, others do not. He sends them off with an admonition:
28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.
29 And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves.
30 And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him,
31 Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.

Paul was as free to preach the Gospel as a prisoner as he was unbound. What constrained him was not a prison. How many of us are not in prison but reluctant tot do as he did?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.