17 August 2007

Today's Reading August 17

Tough morning today, for a variety of reasons.
We were up late watching the unfolding events at the mine rescue effort in Utah. I was born in the coal mining areas on the corner of southeast Ohio, southwestern Pennsylvania, northwestern West Virginia. I have lived in northeastern Tennessee (coal country), western Arkansas (coal country) and am now located not too far from the coal mining territory of northern Alabama. While I have never been a miner, I've been around it virtually all of my life. It is a hard and dangerous occupation and like so many others, my thoughts and prayers are with the miners, the families, and the rescue workers.
On a personal note, I'm fighting discouragement. In the last month I've had half a dozen good on-site interviews in my job hunt. I had expected, based on what I was being told, that I should be hearing something this week. It's now Friday morning, we're about out of 'week', and there has been nothing, good or bad. I know we talk about 'waiting on the Lord', but waiting is not one of my chief virtues. Perhaps this is how you grow it.
--
Our Old Testament passage this morning is Psalms 107 and 108.
Some good praise here, but that's not the part that attracts my attention most.
Look at verse 2 of Psalm 107.

2 Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;
A number of years ago we were part of one of the few remaining evangelistic Methodist churches left. The senior pastor there had been a missionary at one time, and a good friend of his was a wonderful gentleman by the name of Eddie Fox. Rev. Fox had written some things, one of which is a book titled, ''Let the Redeemed of the LORD, Say So!''. I think that this is one of those little phrases that ought to be a mission statement for a lot of us. How many of us are clandestine Christians, no one knows but the Lord? A lot of the Psalms, including the two before us, have a lot to say about proclaiming the Lord publicly. Shouldn't we be doing the same?
---__________ --------
This evening we get into Romans 15, verses 21 through 33
Paul is talking about his future plans in his letter to the Romans. He had plans to go all the way to Spain. Pull a map of the Mediterranean Sea when you get a chance. Only a few years after Jesus ascended into Heaven, the Gospel was being spread from Spain to Egypt, from Italy to the whole Middle East. Christians weren't keeping the Good News to themselves, they were spreading the Word.
28 When therefore I have performed this, and have sealed to them this fruit, I will come by you into Spain.
29 And I am sure that, when I come unto you, I shall come in the fulness of the blessing of the gospel of Christ.
30 Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Now go back and look at the exhortation, ''Let the redeemed of the Lord SAY SO!''

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.