16 April 2008

Interesting Link

I have spent much of my life dealing with people of all walks of life, many if not most nationalities, all ages, both sexes, all with a story to tell, all with talents, all with faults. Anyone who tells you that all people are identical is a fool. Anyone who tells you that all are equally capable is equally a fool. There are reasons that there are very few Ashkenazi Jews playing in the NBA, very few African pygmies in the NFL, and other similar cases, and no one thinks this to be a wrong thing. But, somehow, it is taken as evidence of evil intent if the racial demography of thoracic surgeons or graduates of the Harvard School of Law (not to mention those passing the bar exam) does not closely match the racial demography of population as a whole. There is no doubt that there have been awful cases where a capable person was excluded due to racial reasons. There is also no doubt that some of those excluded were persons not members of ''official'' minorities. I have known persons of both groups who have been similarly maltreated.
What is awful, today, is the degree to which facts are deliberately excluded from consideration. I don't know all the facts, but I know a few. Here is a link to a site or two or three that dares to ask some of the ugly questions. I don't know all the truth of the matter. But it's time to address the realities, and not the fantasies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.