25 August 2018

Today's Readings and Stuff -- Saturday, 25 August 2018

Start with the "song of the day".  Jesus Calls O'er the Tumult".  Love this, hadn't sung it in quite a long time, but it fits with the mood and the direction of the thoughts today and many other days as well.

LYRICS: Jesus calls us o'er the tumult Of our life's wild, restless, sea; Day by day His sweet voice soundeth, Saying, "Christian, follow Me!" As of old Saint Andrew heard it By the Galilean lake, Turned from home and toil and kindred, Leaving all for Jesus' sake. Jesus calls us from the worship Of the vain world's golden store, From each idol that would keep us, Saying, "Christian, love Me more!" In our joys and in our sorrows, Days of toil and hours of ease, Still He calls, in cares and pleasures, "Christian, love Me more than these!" Jesus calls us! By Thy mercies, Savior may we hear Thy call, Give our hearts to Thine obedience, Serve and love Thee best of all.

Can't argue with that, can we?  Now, I don't recall that second verse, but I've been wrong many times in life, so perhaps the memory is faulty.  It happens.  Now, the recording I've linked here, after too much searching, was done at a gathering called the Brotherhood of St. Andrew, so perhaps that is the key.  Don't know.
Anyway, I can't argue with the message.

We (I) spend much of our allotted days and hours obsessing and consumed with things that, in the eternal sense, really don't matter.  A thousand years, a hundred years, a day from now, will it really matter about the rude goniff who cut me off in traffic, parked the shopping buggy sideways in the very center of the aisle preventing anyone else from getting past, or set the traffic signals so that you "get" to sit at Every Single One?  Probably not.  Not that important, really, but perhaps our (my) reaction is:  people are watching.  Did my reaction glorify the Lord and call others to Him?  Those are the important things.  The rest just doesn't matter.

I'm no different from anyone else.  I get cold, tired, hungry (ok, that not so much:  weird body), frustrated, and fearful.  I worry about the things of day-to-day living.  What will I eat?  Where will I live?  Having been in circumstances that lacked both, it's understandable.  The command to "seek ye first the kingdom of God" found in Matthew 6:33-34 should be the direction.
And, yes, it is hard when those challenges affect those around as well.  Job's wife lost those children and her physical life and security too.  She heard the insults of Job's "friends" (and probably from others as well).  I've seen death and misery for many years, one of my earliest memories is of an aunt dying of polio and her funeral, but I've known much since then.  As we all have.  So long as we buy into the world's beliefs that this is all there is, that will weigh us down.  The slogan of some years ago of "he who dies with the most toys, wins", has no basis in our faith, but we understand that belief.  Are those our idols?  Isn't that what the Lord calls us away from?

Which reminded me of another favorite song.  My Name Is Lazarus.  Any argument with that??


========================================
========================================
Job, understandably, continues his cry of "why????".  Now, NEVER does he follow his wife's admonition to "curse God and die".  Never.  Nor should any of us when in a time of challenge and testing.

Job 31

1I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid?
2For what portion of God is there from above? and what inheritance of the Almighty from on high?
3Is not destruction to the wicked? and a strange punishment to the workers of iniquity?
4Doth not he see my ways, and count all my steps?
5If I have walked with vanity, or if my foot hath hasted to deceit;
6Let me be weighed in an even balance, that God may know mine integrity.Let…: Heb. Let him weigh me in balances of justice
7If my step hath turned out of the way, and mine heart walked after mine eyes, and if any blot hath cleaved to mine hands;
8Then let me sow, and let another eat; yea, let my offspring be rooted out.
9If mine heart have been deceived by a woman, or if I have laid wait at my neighbour's door;
10Then let my wife grind unto another, and let others bow down upon her.
11For this is an heinous crime; yea, it is an iniquity to be punished by the judges.
12For it is a fire that consumeth to destruction, and would root out all mine increase.
13If I did despise the cause of my manservant or of my maidservant, when they contended with me;
14What then shall I do when God riseth up? and when he visiteth, what shall I answer him?
15Did not he that made me in the womb make him? and did not one fashion us in the womb?did not one…: or, did he not fashion us in one womb?
16If I have withheld the poor from their desire, or have caused the eyes of the widow to fail;
17Or have eaten my morsel myself alone, and the fatherless hath not eaten thereof;
18(For from my youth he was brought up with me, as with a father, and I have guided her from my mother's womb;)her: that is, the widow
19If I have seen any perish for want of clothing, or any poor without covering;
20If his loins have not blessed me, and if he were not warmed with the fleece of my sheep;
21If I have lifted up my hand against the fatherless, when I saw my help in the gate:
22Then let mine arm fall from my shoulder blade, and mine arm be broken from the bone.bone: or, chanelbone
23For destruction from God was a terror to me, and by reason of his highness I could not endure.
24If I have made gold my hope, or have said to the fine gold, Thou art my confidence;
25If I rejoiced because my wealth was great, and because mine hand had gotten much;gotten…: Heb. found much
26If I beheld the sun when it shined, or the moon walking in brightness;sun: Heb. lightin…: Heb. bright
27And my heart hath been secretly enticed, or my mouth hath kissed my hand:my mouth…: Heb. my hand hath kissed my mouth
28This also were an iniquity to be punished by the judge: for I should have denied the God that is above.
29If I rejoiced at the destruction of him that hated me, or lifted up myself when evil found him:
30Neither have I suffered my mouth to sin by wishing a curse to his soul.mouth: Heb. palate
31If the men of my tabernacle said not, Oh that we had of his flesh! we cannot be satisfied.
32The stranger did not lodge in the street: but I opened my doors to the traveller.traveller: or, way
33If I covered my transgressions as Adam, by hiding mine iniquity in my bosom:as Adam: or, after the manner of men
34Did I fear a great multitude, or did the contempt of families terrify me, that I kept silence, and went not out of the door?
35Oh that one would hear me! behold, my desire is, that the Almighty would answer me, and that mine adversary had written a book.my…: or, my sign is that the Almighty will
36Surely I would take it upon my shoulder, and bind it as a crown to me.
37I would declare unto him the number of my steps; as a prince would I go near unto him.
38If my land cry against me, or that the furrows likewise thereof complain;complain: Heb. weep
39If I have eaten the fruits thereof without money, or have caused the owners thereof to lose their life:fruits: Heb. strengththe owners…: Heb. the soul of the owners thereof to expire, or, breathe out
40Let thistles grow instead of wheat, and cockle instead of barley. The words of Job are ended.



Job 32

1So these three men ceased to answer Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes.to…: Heb. from answering
2Then was kindled the wrath of Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite, of the kindred of Ram: against Job was his wrath kindled, because he justified himself rather than God.himself: Heb. his soul
3Also against his three friends was his wrath kindled, because they had found no answer, and yet had condemned Job.
4Now Elihu had waited till Job had spoken, because they were elder than he.waited…: Heb. expected Job in wordselder: Heb. elder for days
5When Elihu saw that there was no answer in the mouth of these three men, then his wrath was kindled.
6And Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite answered and said, I am young, and ye are very old; wherefore I was afraid, and durst not shew you mine opinion.young: Heb. few of daysdurst…: Heb. feared
7I said, Days should speak, and multitude of years should teach wisdom.
8But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
9Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment.
10Therefore I said, Hearken to me; I also will shew mine opinion.
11Behold, I waited for your words; I gave ear to your reasons, whilst ye searched out what to say.reasons: Heb. understandingswhat…: Heb. words
12Yea, I attended unto you, and, behold, there was none of you that convinced Job, or that answered his words:
13Lest ye should say, We have found out wisdom: God thrusteth him down, not man.
14Now he hath not directed his words against me: neither will I answer him with your speeches.directed: or, ordered
15They were amazed, they answered no more: they left off speaking.left…: Heb. removed speeches from themselves
16When I had waited, (for they spake not, but stood still, and answered no more;)
17I said, I will answer also my part, I also will shew mine opinion.
18For I am full of matter, the spirit within me constraineth me.matter: Heb. wordsspirit…: Heb. spirit of my belly
19Behold, my belly is as wine which hath no vent; it is ready to burst like new bottles.hath…: Heb. is not opened
20I will speak, that I may be refreshed: I will open my lips and answer.be…: Heb. breathe
21Let me not, I pray you, accept any man's person, neither let me give flattering titles unto man.
22For I know not to give flattering titles; in so doing my maker would soon take me away.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.