19 August 2018

Today's Readings and Stuff -- Sunday, 19 August 2018

Today has been Sunday.  A great day, to be sure.
Wife still not doing well, to say the least.  We've made a doctor appointment for her for later this week, and she has a previously scheduled one for next week.  Going to be one of those months, actually has been already. 
I have a regular semi-annual doctor visit for first thing tomorrow.  Shouldn't take long, but as of a few minutes ago I'm eating nothing; they didn't say for sure but I probably am supposed to be "fasting" in anticipation of "blood work" of some kind. 
At least we have this:  Niece is off work tomorrow, so Wife won't be watching the kids.  The Great-Niece begins kindergarten this year, starts next week.  Big change for her, but for mom and dad as well.  And for Dear Wife as well.

========================================
========================================

The day's reading in Job includes some of my favorite verses, and a tag to another song of the day.  I Know That My Redeemer Liveth.  This is presented as part of performances of Handel's Messiah, as here.  But it is also presented in less formal means, as here.  I love both versions, truly.

Job 19

1Then Job answered and said,
2How long will ye vex my soul, and break me in pieces with words?
3These ten times have ye reproached me: ye are not ashamed that ye make yourselves strange to me.make…: or, harden yourselves against me
4And be it indeed that I have erred, mine error remaineth with myself.
5If indeed ye will magnify yourselves against me, and plead against me my reproach:
6Know now that God hath overthrown me, and hath compassed me with his net.
7Behold, I cry out of wrong, but I am not heard: I cry aloud, but there is no judgment.wrong: or, violence
8He hath fenced up my way that I cannot pass, and he hath set darkness in my paths.
9He hath stripped me of my glory, and taken the crown from my head.
10He hath destroyed me on every side, and I am gone: and mine hope hath he removed like a tree.
11He hath also kindled his wrath against me, and he counteth me unto him as one of his enemies.
12His troops come together, and raise up their way against me, and encamp round about my tabernacle.
13He hath put my brethren far from me, and mine acquaintance are verily estranged from me.
14My kinsfolk have failed, and my familiar friends have forgotten me.
15They that dwell in mine house, and my maids, count me for a stranger: I am an alien in their sight.
16I called my servant, and he gave me no answer; I entreated him with my mouth.
17My breath is strange to my wife, though I entreated for the children's sake of mine own body.mine…: Heb. my belly
18Yea, young children despised me; I arose, and they spake against me.young…: or, the wicked
19All my inward friends abhorred me: and they whom I loved are turned against me.my…: Heb. the men of my secret
20My bone cleaveth to my skin and to my flesh, and I am escaped with the skin of my teeth.and to: or, as to
21Have pity upon me, have pity upon me, O ye my friends; for the hand of God hath touched me.
22Why do ye persecute me as God, and are not satisfied with my flesh?
23Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book!Oh…: Heb. Who will give, etc.
24That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever!
25For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:And…: or, After I shall awake, though this body be destroyed, yet out of my flesh
27Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.another: Heb. a strangerthough…: or, my reins within me are consumed with earnest desire (for that day)within…: Heb. in my bosom
28But ye should say, Why persecute we him, seeing the root of the matter is found in me?seeing…: or, and what root of matter is found in me?
29Be ye afraid of the sword: for wrath bringeth the punishments of the sword, that ye may know there is a judgment.


Job 20

1Then answered Zophar the Naamathite, and said,
2Therefore do my thoughts cause me to answer, and for this I make haste.I make…: Heb. my haste is in me
3I have heard the check of my reproach, and the spirit of my understanding causeth me to answer.
4Knowest thou not this of old, since man was placed upon earth,
5That the triumphing of the wicked is short, and the joy of the hypocrite but for a moment?short: Heb. from near
6Though his excellency mount up to the heavens, and his head reach unto the clouds;clouds: Heb. cloud
7Yet he shall perish for ever like his own dung: they which have seen him shall say, Where is he?
8He shall fly away as a dream, and shall not be found: yea, he shall be chased away as a vision of the night.
9The eye also which saw him shall see him no more; neither shall his place any more behold him.
10His children shall seek to please the poor, and his hands shall restore their goods.His children…: or, The poor shall oppress his children
11His bones are full of the sin of his youth, which shall lie down with him in the dust.
12Though wickedness be sweet in his mouth, though he hide it under his tongue;
13Though he spare it, and forsake it not; but keep it still within his mouth:within…: Heb. in the midst of his palate
14Yet his meat in his bowels is turned, it is the gall of asps within him.
15He hath swallowed down riches, and he shall vomit them up again: God shall cast them out of his belly.
16He shall suck the poison of asps: the viper's tongue shall slay him.
17He shall not see the rivers, the floods, the brooks of honey and butter.the floods…: or, streaming brooks
18That which he laboured for shall he restore, and shall not swallow it down: according to his substance shall the restitution be, and he shall not rejoice therein.his…: Heb. the substance of his exchange
19Because he hath oppressed and hath forsaken the poor; because he hath violently taken away an house which he builded not;oppressed: Heb. crushed
20Surely he shall not feel quietness in his belly, he shall not save of that which he desired.feel: Heb. know
21There shall none of his meat be left; therefore shall no man look for his goods.none…: or, be none left for his meat
22In the fulness of his sufficiency he shall be in straits: every hand of the wicked shall come upon him.wicked: or, troublesome
23When he is about to fill his belly, God shall cast the fury of his wrath upon him, and shall rain it upon him while he is eating.
24He shall flee from the iron weapon, and the bow of steel shall strike him through.
25It is drawn, and cometh out of the body; yea, the glittering sword cometh out of his gall: terrors are upon him.
26All darkness shall be hid in his secret places: a fire not blown shall consume him; it shall go ill with him that is left in his tabernacle.
27The heaven shall reveal his iniquity; and the earth shall rise up against him.
28The increase of his house shall depart, and his goods shall flow away in the day of his wrath.
29This is the portion of a wicked man from God, and the heritage appointed unto him by God.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.