14 August 2018

Today's Readings and Stuff -- Tuesday, 14 August 2018

 Sigh.  Well, the Social Security check that we live by went into the bank this morning.  That's a Good Thing:  I had all of $6 in the pocket and a gas gauge right on the 1/4 line, and that only due to a $5 purchase Sunday afternoon, the last time the car ran.
We spent a few hours this morning to "watch" the little ones next door while Niece was at some sort of a meeting, and her husband was sleeping after working the 11-7 shift last night.  When she got back we and the kids had breakfast.  Then off on some of the monthly errands.  Wife to help corral the kids while the great-niece got her hair cut in prep for the start of kindergarten in another week or two.  In that meantime, Yours Truly ran some prescriptions to the pharmacy across the line.
Then, we went to the cell phone store.  My phone is 5+ years old, but still works ok (so far).  Hers is 3+  years old, never has worked well, and is barely able to stay on.  We pay a monthly fee for insurance on it, and -- for the first time in months and months -- Wife was well enough to go to the joint to dump the matter in their laps (or we would have taken it in half a year ago, or more).  After an hour and a half, the decision was made that they're going to replace it with a similar one.  But we have to go back tomorrow.  So, I guess we will.  Now, as an aside and explanation, Wife is legally blind and largely disabled.  We've both been "readers' our entire lives, but reading a real book is no longer a possibility.  So, using her smartphone, she can access audiobooks, free from the local library as well as other outlets, which gives her a window on the world.  We both use those phones for a lot more than just messaging and aren't really "into" the sort of "gaming" that seems to be a big part of some people's lives.  So having that device able to work at all is important to her, and thus to me.  And, yes, it also provides a mean to call the fire department or whatever in the event of an emergency.  So it's not really a toy.  For us at least.
Then to a nearby grocery that had some sort of a very attractive sale/deal on meat, so we went and loaded up.
Then a run past the pharmacy, pick up the meds, and home.  With a "good" 1/8 tank of gas remaining.  Plan is for me to get more tomorrow.
Oh, and we paid  our monthly rent on the hovel.
Came home and repackaged the meat.  Now have a bunch  of smaller packs of beef suitable for soups and stews and the like:  we know how to stretch our stuff.
Tomorrow, after "watching" the kids a while, we'll go by the phone store and then pick up the rest of the month's groceries, etc. (after getting gas).  And then come home and collapse.
Yes, it's a weird life pattern we have, but we've both been through far worse.

I am still struggling with some of the issues that have been mentioned over the last few days.





==========================================
===========================================
Today, chapters 9 and 10 in the book of Job.  This is not easy reading, not easy at all.  Neither is life.  There are those who will tell you otherwise.  Perhaps their lives have been.


Job 9

1Then Job answered and said,
2I know it is so of a truth: but how should man be just with God?with God: or, before God?
3If he will contend with him, he cannot answer him one of a thousand.
4He is wise in heart, and mighty in strength: who hath hardened himself against him, and hath prospered?
5Which removeth the mountains, and they know not: which overturneth them in his anger.
6Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble.
7Which commandeth the sun, and it riseth not; and sealeth up the stars.
8Which alone spreadeth out the heavens, and treadeth upon the waves of the sea.waves: Heb. heights
9Which maketh Arcturus, Orion, and Pleiades, and the chambers of the south.Arcturus…: Heb. Ash, Cesil, and Cimah
10Which doeth great things past finding out; yea, and wonders without number.
11Lo, he goeth by me, and I see him not: he passeth on also, but I perceive him not.
12Behold, he taketh away, who can hinder him? who will say unto him, What doest thou?hinder…: Heb. turn him away?
13If God will not withdraw his anger, the proud helpers do stoop under him.proud…: Heb. helpers of pride, or, strength
14How much less shall I answer him, and choose out my words to reason with him?
15Whom, though I were righteous, yet would I not answer, but I would make supplication to my judge.
16If I had called, and he had answered me; yet would I not believe that he had hearkened unto my voice.
17For he breaketh me with a tempest, and multiplieth my wounds without cause.
18He will not suffer me to take my breath, but filleth me with bitterness.
19If I speak of strength, lo, he is strong: and if of judgment, who shall set me a time to plead?
20If I justify myself, mine own mouth shall condemn me: if I say, I am perfect, it shall also prove me perverse.
21Though I were perfect, yet would I not know my soul: I would despise my life.
22This is one thing, therefore I said it, He destroyeth the perfect and the wicked.
23If the scourge slay suddenly, he will laugh at the trial of the innocent.
24The earth is given into the hand of the wicked: he covereth the faces of the judges thereof; if not, where, and who is he?
25Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away, they see no good.
26They are passed away as the swift ships: as the eagle that hasteth to the prey.swift…: or, ships of Ebeh: Heb. ships of desire
27If I say, I will forget my complaint, I will leave off my heaviness, and comfort myself:
28I am afraid of all my sorrows, I know that thou wilt not hold me innocent.
29If I be wicked, why then labour I in vain?
30If I wash myself with snow water, and make my hands never so clean;
31Yet shalt thou plunge me in the ditch, and mine own clothes shall abhor me.abhor…: or, make me to be abhorred
32For he is not a man, as I am, that I should answer him, and we should come together in judgment.
33Neither is there any daysman betwixt us, that might lay his hand upon us both.any…: Heb. one that should arguedaysman: or, umpire
34Let him take his rod away from me, and let not his fear terrify me:
35Then would I speak, and not fear him; but it is not so with me.



Job 10

1My soul is weary of my life; I will leave my complaint upon myself; I will speak in the bitterness of my soul.weary…: or, cut off while I live
2I will say unto God, Do not condemn me; shew me wherefore thou contendest with me.
3Is it good unto thee that thou shouldest oppress, that thou shouldest despise the work of thine hands, and shine upon the counsel of the wicked?work: Heb. labour
4Hast thou eyes of flesh? or seest thou as man seeth?
5Are thy days as the days of man? are thy years as man's days,
6That thou enquirest after mine iniquity, and searchest after my sin?
7Thou knowest that I am not wicked; and there is none that can deliver out of thine hand.Thou…: Heb. It is upon thy knowledge
8Thine hands have made me and fashioned me together round about; yet thou dost destroy me.have…: Heb. took pains about me
9Remember, I beseech thee, that thou hast made me as the clay; and wilt thou bring me into dust again?
10Hast thou not poured me out as milk, and curdled me like cheese?
11Thou hast clothed me with skin and flesh, and hast fenced me with bones and sinews.fenced: Heb. hedged
12Thou hast granted me life and favour, and thy visitation hath preserved my spirit.
13And these things hast thou hid in thine heart: I know that this is with thee.
14If I sin, then thou markest me, and thou wilt not acquit me from mine iniquity.
15If I be wicked, woe unto me; and if I be righteous, yet will I not lift up my head. I am full of confusion; therefore see thou mine affliction;
16For it increaseth. Thou huntest me as a fierce lion: and again thou shewest thyself marvellous upon me.
17Thou renewest thy witnesses against me, and increasest thine indignation upon me; changes and war are against me.witnesses: that is, plagues
18Wherefore then hast thou brought me forth out of the womb? Oh that I had given up the ghost, and no eye had seen me!
19I should have been as though I had not been; I should have been carried from the womb to the grave.
20Are not my days few? cease then, and let me alone, that I may take comfort a little,
21Before I go whence I shall not return, even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death;
22A land of darkness, as darkness itself; and of the shadow of death, without any order, and where the light is as darkness.



=====================================
==========================================

Psalm 141

A Psalm of David.
1 Lord, I cry unto thee: make haste unto me; give ear unto my voice, when I cry unto thee.
2Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.set…: Heb. directed
3Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.
4Incline not my heart to any evil thing, to practise wicked works with men that work iniquity: and let me not eat of their dainties.
5Let the righteous smite me; it shall be a kindness: and let him reprove me; it shall be an excellent oil, which shall not break my head: for yet my prayer also shall be in their calamities.me; it shall be a…: or, me kindly, and reprove me; let not their precious oil break, etc.
6When their judges are overthrown in stony places, they shall hear my words; for they are sweet.
7Our bones are scattered at the grave's mouth, as when one cutteth and cleaveth wood upon the earth.
8But mine eyes are unto thee, O God the Lord: in thee is my trust; leave not my soul destitute.leave…: Heb. make not my soul bare
9Keep me from the snares which they have laid for me, and the gins of the workers of iniquity.
10Let the wicked fall into their own nets, whilst that I withal escape.


==================================
====================================

2nd Corinthians 12

1It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.
2I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
3And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
4How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
5Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.
6For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.
7And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
8For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
11I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing.
12Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds.
13For what is it wherein ye were inferior to other churches, except it be that I myself was not burdensome to you? forgive me this wrong.
14Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.
15And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved.
16But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile.
17Did I make a gain of you by any of them whom I sent unto you?
18I desired Titus, and with him I sent a brother. Did Titus make a gain of you? walked we not in the same spirit? walked we not in the same steps?
19Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying.
20For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:
21And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.