01 September 2020

Today's Readings and Stuff -- Tuesday, 01 September 2020

First off, the Song Of The Day.  "He Leadeth Me".  An interesting one to be in the mind while waking up, but that is what it was.  (the story behind it is at top of page, the video is further down to be clicked).

And that will most certainly set one's mind along a certain track.  Mine anyway.  Yesterday's readings included more than a little bit on the subject of obedience.  Being obedient to the Lord, to one's parents, to one's boss or master.  And, implicitly at least, modeling that attitude and teaching it to our children and underlings.
I had a conversation yesterday with someone, in which I expressed that the people raising Cain in cities around the country, exhibit the characteristics of kids whose parents (assuming that is plural: a whole other discussion), never said "NO!" to them, and made it final.  Many of us have encountered such people.
We can not presume to expect the Lord to lead, if we are not prepared to follow, to be obedient to His will and guidance, rather than our own wants and wishes.  Rather than adopting His will as our own.  So the issue of His leading is critical.

And, of course, a number of other hymns on the subject came to mind, and have remained there all day.  It's been interesting.
=================
===/=/======/=/////

Isaiah 3, 4

ISAIAH 3

Judah’s Leaders Judged
1Observe this: The Lord God of Hosts
is about to remove from Jerusalem and from Judah
every kind of security:
the entire supply of bread and water,
2the hero and warrior, 
the judge and prophet,
the fortune-teller and elder,
3the commander of 50 and the dignitary,
the counselor, cunning magician,  and necromancer. 
4“I will make youths their leaders, 
and the unstable  will govern them.”
5The people will oppress one another, 
man against man, neighbor against neighbor;
the youth will act arrogantly toward the elder,
and the worthless toward the honorable.
6A man will even seize his brother
in his father’s house, saying:
“You have a cloak — you be our leader!
This heap of rubble will be under your control.”
7On that day he will cry out, saying:
“I’m not a healer.
I don’t even have food or clothing in my house.
Don’t make me the leader of the people! ”
8For Jerusalem has stumbled
and Judah has fallen
because they have spoken and acted against the Lord
defying His glorious presence. 
9The look on their faces testifies against them,
and like Sodom,  they flaunt their sin.
They do not conceal it.
Woe to them,
for they have brought evil on themselves. 
10Tell the righteous that it will go well for them,
for they will eat the fruit of their labor.
11Woe to the wicked — it will go badly for them,
for what they have done will be done to them.
12Youths oppress My people, 
and women rule over them.
My people, your leaders mislead you;
they confuse the direction of your paths. 
13The Lord rises to argue the case
and stands to judge the people. 
14The Lord brings this charge
against the elders and leaders of His people: 
“You have devastated the vineyard.
The plunder from the poor is in your houses. 
15Why do you crush My people
and grind the faces of the poor? ”
This is the declaration
of the Lord God of Hosts.
Jerusalem’s Women Judged
16The Lord also says:
Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, 
walking with heads held high
and seductive eyes,
going along with prancing steps,
jingling their ankle bracelets,
17the Lord will put scabs on the heads
of the daughters of Zion,
and the Lord will shave their foreheads bare.
18On that day  the Lord will strip their finery: ankle bracelets, headbands, crescents,  19pendants, bracelets, veils, 20headdresses, ankle jewelry, sashes, perfume bottles, amulets,  21signet rings, nose rings,  22festive robes, capes, cloaks, purses, 23garments, linen clothes, turbans, and veils.
24Instead of perfume there will be a stench;
instead of a belt, a rope;
instead of beautifully styled hair,  baldness; 
instead of fine clothes, sackcloth; 
instead of beauty, branding. 
25Your men will fall by the sword,
your warriors in battle.
26Then her gates  will lament and mourn;
deserted, she will sit on the ground. 


ISAIAH 4

1On that day seven women
will seize one man,  saying,
“We will eat our own bread
and provide our own clothing.
Just let us be called by your name.
Take away our disgrace.” 
Zion’s Future Glory
2On that day the Branch of  the Lord will be beautiful and glorious,  and the fruit of the land  will be the pride and glory  of Israel’s survivors.  3Whoever remains in Zion and whoever is left in Jerusalem  will be called holy  — all in Jerusalem who are destined to live  — 4when the Lord has washed away the filth  of the daughters of Zion and cleansed the bloodguilt  from the heart of Jerusalem by a spirit of judgment  and a spirit of burning.  5Then the Lord will create  a cloud of smoke by day  and a glowing flame of fire by night over the entire site of Mount Zion and over its assemblies. For there will be a canopy over all the glory,  6and there will be a booth for shade from heat by day, and a refuge and shelter from storm and rain. 



==================


PROVERBS 4

A Father’s Example
1Listen, my sons, to a father’s discipline, 
and pay attention so that you may gain understanding,
2for I am giving you good instruction. 
Don’t abandon my teaching.
3When I was a son with my father,
tender and precious to my mother,
4he taught me and said:
“Your heart must hold on to my words.
Keep my commands and live. 
5Get wisdom, get understanding; 
don’t forget or turn away from the words of my mouth.
6Don’t abandon wisdom, and she will watch over you;
love her,  and she will guard you.
7Wisdom is supreme — so get wisdom.
And whatever else you get, get understanding. 
8Cherish her, and she will exalt you;
if you embrace her, she will honor you. 
9She will place a garland of grace on your head;
she will give you a crown of beauty.” 
Two Ways of Life
10Listen, my son. Accept my words, 
and you will live many years. 
11I am teaching you the way of wisdom;
I am guiding you on straight paths. 
12When you walk, your steps will not be hindered; 
when you run, you will not stumble. 
13Hold on to instruction; don’t let go. 
Guard it, for it is your life.
14Don’t set foot on the path of the wicked; 
don’t proceed in the way of evil ones.
15Avoid it; don’t travel on it.
Turn away from it, and pass it by.
16For they can’t sleep
unless they have done what is evil;
they are robbed of sleep
unless they make someone stumble. 
17They eat the bread of wickedness
and drink the wine of violence.
18The path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, 
shining brighter and brighter until midday.
19But the way of the wicked is like the darkest gloom; 
they don’t know what makes them stumble. 
The Straight Path
20My son, pay attention to my words;
listen closely to my sayings. 
21Don’t lose sight of them; 
keep them within your heart.
22For they are life to those who find them,
and health to one’s whole body.
23Guard your heart above all else, 
for it is the source of life. 
24Don’t let your mouth speak dishonestly, 
and don’t let your lips talk deviously.
25Let your eyes look forward;
fix your gaze  straight ahead. 
26Carefully consider the path  for your feet, 
and all your ways will be established.
27Don’t turn to the right or to the left; 
keep your feet away from evil.



====================

PHILIPPIANS 1

Greeting
1Paul  and Timothy,  slaves of Christ Jesus:
To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi,  including the overseers  and deacons. 
2Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Thanksgiving and Prayer
3I give thanks to my God for every remembrance of you,  4always praying with joy for all of you in my every prayer, 5because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day  until now.  6I am sure of this, that He who started a good work  in you  will carry it on to completion  until the day of Christ Jesus. 7It is right  for me to think this way about all of you, because I have you in my heart,  and you are all partners with me in grace, both in my imprisonment  and in the defense  and establishment of the gospel. 8For God is my witness,  how deeply I miss all of you  with the affection of Christ Jesus. 9And I pray this: that your love  will keep on growing  in knowledge and every kind of discernment,  10so that you can approve the things that are superior  and can be pure  and blameless  in  the day of Christ,  11filled with the fruit  of righteousness  that comes through Jesus Christ to the glory  and praise of God.
Advance of the Gospel
12Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has actually resulted in the advance of the gospel,  13so that it has become known throughout the whole imperial guard,  and to everyone else, that my imprisonment is in the cause of Christ. 14Most of the brothers in the Lord have gained confidence from my imprisonment and dare even more to speak the message   fearlessly. 15To be sure, some preach Christ out of envy and strife,  but others out of good will.  16These do so out of love,  knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel; 17the others proclaim Christ out of rivalry,  not sincerely, seeking to cause me anxiety in my imprisonment.  18What does it matter? Just that in every way, whether out of false motives  or true, Christ is proclaimed. And in this I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice 19because I know this will lead to my deliverance   through your prayers and help from the Spirit  of Jesus Christ.  20My eager expectation and hope  is that I will not be ashamed about anything, but that now as always, with all boldness, Christ will be highly honored in my body, whether by life  or by death. 
Living Is Christ
21For me, living is Christ  and dying is gain.  22Now if I live on in the flesh, this means fruitful  work  for me; and I don’t know which one I should choose. 23I am pressured by both. I have the desire to depart and be with Christ  — which is far better  — 24but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you. 25Since I am persuaded of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith,  26so that, because of me, your confidence may grow  in Christ Jesus  when I come to you again.
27Just one thing: Live your life  in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or am absent, I will hear about you that you are standing firm  in one  spirit, with one mind,  working side by side for the faith  that comes from the gospel, 28not being frightened in any way by your opponents.  This is a sign of destruction for them,  but of your deliverance  — and this is from God. 29For it has been given to you on Christ’s behalf not only to believe  in Him, but also to suffer for Him, 30having the same struggle that you saw I had and now hear that I have.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.