09 August 2007

Today's Reading August 09

This morning we continue with Psalms 85, 86, and 87

Chapter 86
1 Bow down thine ear, O LORD, hear me: for I am poor and needy.
2 Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee.
3 Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily.
4 Rejoice the soul of thy servant: for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.
5 For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee.
6 Give ear, O LORD, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications.
7 In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me.



This evening we turn to Romans chapter 9. Paul is speaking here primarily of the Jews, his own people, as if he could persuade them all. This is a passage that builds on the previous sections, by itself it loses some of the context, some of the richness of the proposition. There is a lot here, a lot that I don't understand fully, and a lot that makes me uncomfortable. There is here some of the inklings of the doctrine sometimes called ''Limited Atonement'', the theory that Jesus did not die for all, but only for those foredestined, sometimes called double predestination. I don't know the answer, and this is a section that all of us need to chew over more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.