30 June 2007

Today's Reading June 30

This morning, from the Old Testament, Job, chapters 19 and 20.

This passage contains a few verses that are among my own favorites in all of the Bible. Job has had a rough time. He's lost his wealth, every one of his children, the respect of his own wife. He's covered in boils sitting in the dust. And his ''friends'' have come by to visit, and to presume his guilt on some terrible sin. Yet Job has not rejected the Lord. He is hurt, and he is grieving, and he doesn't understand any of it. But he still has his faith. And, in one of the great sections he says,

23 Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book!
24 That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever!
25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
27 Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.
Good words. You could probably write a couple of good songs with those words prominently in there. And, of course, Job was correct. His Redeemer, and mine, lives.

----

This evening, from the New Testament, Acts, chapter 9, verses 23 through 43

More of the early life of the Church, which was really starting to be noticed all around, and more persecution and opposition, and more of the impact of Peter and Paul, with some insights on how Paul (formerly Saul) was becoming accepted. And the too-little-honored team players like Barnabas.
26 And when Saul was come to Jerusalem, he assayed to join himself to the disciples: but they were all afraid of him, and believed not that he was a disciple.
27 But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared unto them how he had seen the Lord in the way, and that he had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Jesus.
28 And he was with them coming in and going out at Jerusalem.
29 And he spake boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus, and disputed against the Grecians: but they went about to slay him.
30 Which when the brethren knew, they brought him down to Caesarea, and sent him forth to Tarsus.
31 Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.