06 December 2019

Today's Readings and Stuff -- Friday, 06 Deceember 2019

This is one of those "how did I get here?" days.  All of us have had some experiences that affected us for some time.  Me too.  One of my very earliest memories is of an aunt, Bertha by name, one of my dad's sisters. I can remember seeing her exactly one time.  She was paralyzed and bedridden with polio, occupying a place in grandmother's parlor.  Grandfather had died before I was born.  And an uncle and his wife.  So widowed grandma had a paralyzed daughter to care for, and the two kids of that uncle.  Rough times.  The next time I saw that aunt was a month or so later at her funeral.


All of that was just months after I, all of 4 or 5 years old but the oldest of the kids, and Dad at work and out of reach, had to be the one calling  for help (pre 911 days) as my mom suffered a miscarriage.  Not a pleasant sight, be assured.

See what I mean?  That sort of beginning can, and did, give me a less than sunny and optimistic outlook.  Today is the day that Bertha passed, in 1956.  I remember.  Barely.  Will anyone remember me?

I did get a little bit done today.  I got a piece of plywiid under the computer desk where the desk was bidding to fall through the floor.l  So, for the first time in about a week, I can actually have a real keyboard.
And Wife just got a phone call to the effect that brother-in law will be by tomorrow to, we hope, finish the installation of our bathtub.  It would be most welcome: sink/ sponge baths are getting a bit tiresome.  We shall see.

====

Hosea 11

1When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.
2As they called them, so they went from them: they sacrificed unto Baalim, and burned incense to graven images.
3I taught Ephraim also to go, taking them by their arms; but they knew not that I healed them.
4I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them.
5He shall not return into the land of Egypt, but the Assyrian shall be his king, because they refused to return.
6And the sword shall abide on his cities, and shall consume his branches, and devour them, because of their own counsels.
7And my people are bent to backsliding from me: though they called them to the most High, none at all would exalt him.
8How shall I give thee up, Ephraim? how shall I deliver thee, Israel? how shall I make thee as Admah? how shall I set thee as Zeboiim? mine heart is turned within me, my repentings are kindled together.
9I will not execute the fierceness of mine anger, I will not return to destroy Ephraim: for I am God, and not man; the Holy One in the midst of thee: and I will not enter into the city.
10They shall walk after the Lord: he shall roar like a lion: when he shall roar, then the children shall tremble from the west.
11They shall tremble as a bird out of Egypt, and as a dove out of the land of Assyria: and I will place them in their houses, saith the Lord.
12Ephraim compasseth me about with lies, and the house of Israel with deceit: but Judah yet ruleth with God, and is faithful with the saints.



Hosea  12

1Ephraim feedeth on wind, and followeth after the east wind: he daily increaseth lies and desolation; and they do make a covenant with the Assyrians, and oil is carried into Egypt.
2The Lord hath also a controversy with Judah, and will punish Jacob according to his ways; according to his doings will he recompense him.
3He took his brother by the heel in the womb, and by his strength he had power with God:
4Yea, he had power over the angel, and prevailed: he wept, and made supplication unto him: he found him in Beth–el, and there he spake with us;
5Even the Lord God of hosts; the Lord is his memorial.
6Therefore turn thou to thy God: keep mercy and judgment, and wait on thy God continually.
7He is a merchant, the balances of deceit are in his hand: he loveth to oppress.
8And Ephraim said, Yet I am become rich, I have found me out substance: in all my labours they shall find none iniquity in me that were sin.
9And I that am the Lord thy God from the land of Egypt will yet make thee to dwell in tabernacles, as in the days of the solemn feast.
10I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and used similitudes, by the ministry of the prophets.
11Is there iniquity in Gilead? surely they are vanity: they sacrifice bullocks in Gilgal; yea, their altars are as heaps in the furrows of the fields.
12And Jacob fled into the country of Syria, and Israel served for a wife, and for a wife he kept sheep.
13And by a prophet the Lord brought Israel out of Egypt, and by a prophet was he preserved.
14Ephraim provoked him to anger most bitterly: therefore shall he leave his blood upon him, and his reproach shall his Lord return unto him.



-======================

Revelation 6

1And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.
2And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.
3And when he had opened the second seal, I heard the second beast say, Come and see.
4And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword.
5And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand.
6And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine.
7And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.
8And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
9And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
10And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
11And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.
12And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
13And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
14And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
15And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
16And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
17For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.