02 December 2019

Today's Readings and Stuff -- Monday, 02 December 2019

There are just four more Mondays left in the year after today.  Yes, we're that close to the year's end.  This has not been one of the best years that I can recall, am not sure than any further ones will be better, or can be.  In two weeks, Lord willing, I will mark a birthday that will denote my entry into the year that used to be called "threescore and ten".  Not sure what the Lord still has in the works for me, not sure it there is anything. Yes, it's one of those moods.  I've been getting by on the belief that He has a purpose -- possibly more than one -- for my continued presence.  But I just can't see it.

Wife just let me know that tomorrow we need to arrange one of those usurious short-term loans.  Among other things, that will let us give some money to her sister's husband so that he can fix one of their cars, which will in turn let him come over and finish that tub & bathroom project that has been hanging fire for too long.  So we'll float a loan for $150 or so, possibly another 10, which should cover what's needed.  I may take some of that and address another issue:  the sagging floor underneath the computer desk I'm sitting at now.  A year ago, we had a line break to the water heater on the other side of this wall, and we had a follow up of that this last summer.  I suspect that the water leakage, length of which was unknown (we use the room only for rarely-accessed storage), led to severe damage and that has waited until December to make itself known . Just more "fun".

Wiife's been down with something for the last several days.   Running a fever of unknown cause, feeling generally lousy.  She was up to the family gathering for Thanksgiving day, but pretty much horizontal ever since.

I was on "social media" yesterday.  Saw a posting from one of step-daughter's friends from high school.   She and her husband and son live in the same town as step-daughter and her husband.  They had a "thing" over there on Thanksgiving, and people brought their kids.  Photos were taken and "shared".  So I got to see my very first pic of our grand-daughter.  The first and only.  I'm grateful for that, but the situation does not fill me or wife with joy.  Not hardly.  Not quite what I'd envisioned for so many years.  No fun being an "un-person".

And then I heard from my brother's son's wife via the same router.  My brother did not raise his sons in the faith.  But my late father (greatly missed) was a mentor to Tony and to Shannon, enough so that they came to a saving faith, which is wonderful.  They united with the little Mennonite church gathering that I grew up in.  Over time, she became more and more involved in study and writing.  She got in with the local C.S. Lewis group, for example.  Started a blog, does some other things.  And started getting to be more and more involved in the various things in that congregation.  Like lay leadership.  Lately, I noticed that she'd actually been delivering sermons on Sunday mornings.  Her writings revealed more and more frustration with the traditional limitations on women's roles in the church.  Given my recent -- and longer -- experiences with having what I considered to be innocuous comments being turned into A Big Deal, I've kept silence.  Wisely or unwisely, who can say?  But a few days ago she make it known publicly that the disagreements with that congregation and the leadership thereof over this issue has led to her and Tony pulling completely out of that fellowship and breaking all relationships with them.
I am still holding my tongue.  The matter is a contentious one these days and discussions often generatre more heat than light.  I am not supportive of her take on the matter, but she has not asked my opinion. so I'm staying silent (THAT is a miracle!) at least for now. 
I have seen this issue become quite heated.  I think it dangerous to deliberately and openly scorn and ignore what I think is pretty clear church doctrine of some 2000 years (or more) duration.  I've seen the lasting effects of doing so.  There is, within that denomination, a "district" in Colorado that, several years ago installed a practicing lesbian as, not "just" a senior pastor, but a district bishop!  We see, if we look, female "pastors" from several denominatins up to their surplices in pro-abortion, pro homosexuality, etc. etc. etc. issues that I believe contravene Scripture and dishonor the Lord and the faith once delivered.
Not sure what to say, if anything.

=========================================

Today, chapters 3 and 4 in Hosea.

Hosea 3

1Then said the Lord unto me, Go yet, love a woman beloved of her friend, yet an adulteress, according to the love of the Lord toward the children of Israel, who look to other gods, and love flagons of wine.
2So I bought her to me for fifteen pieces of silver, and for an homer of barley, and an half homer of barley:
3And I said unto her, Thou shalt abide for me many days; thou shalt not play the harlot, and thou shalt not be for another man: so will I also be for thee.
4For the children of Israel shall abide many days without a king, and without a prince, and without a sacrifice, and without an image, and without an ephod, and without teraphim:
5Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the Lord their God, and David their king; and s


Hosea 4

1Hear the word of the Lord, ye children of Israel: for the Lord hath a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land.
2By swearing, and lying, and killing, and stealing, and committing adultery, they break out, and blood toucheth blood.
3Therefore shall the land mourn, and every one that dwelleth therein shall languish, with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven; yea, the fishes of the sea also shall be taken away.
4Yet let no man strive, nor reprove another: for thy people are as they that strive with the priest.
5Therefore shalt thou fall in the day, and the prophet also shall fall with thee in the night, and I will destroy thy mother.
6My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
7As they were increased, so they sinned against me: therefore will I change their glory into shame.
8They eat up the sin of my people, and they set their heart on their iniquity.
9And there shall be, like people, like priest: and I will punish them for their ways, and reward them their doings.
10For they shall eat, and not have enough: they shall commit whoredom, and shall not increase: because they have left off to take heed to the Lord.
11Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.
12My people ask counsel at their stocks, and their staff declareth unto them: for the spirit of whoredoms hath caused them to err, and they have gone a whoring from under their God.
13They sacrifice upon the tops of the mountains, and burn incense upon the hills, under oaks and poplars and elms, because the shadow thereof is good: therefore your daughters shall commit whoredom, and your spouses shall commit adultery.
14I will not punish your daughters when they commit whoredom, nor your spouses when they commit adultery: for themselves are separated with whores, and they sacrifice with harlots: therefore the people that doth not understand shall fall.
15Though thou, Israel, play the harlot, yet let not Judah offend; and come not ye unto Gilgal, neither go ye up to Beth–aven, nor swear, The Lord liveth.
16For Israel slideth back as a backsliding heifer: now the Lord will feed them as a lamb in a large place.
17Ephraim is joined to idols: let him alone.
18Their drink is sour: they have committed whoredom continually: her rulers with shame do love, Give ye.
19The wind hath bound her up in her wings, and they shall be ashamed because of their sacrifices.



=========================

Revelation 2

1 Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.
4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.
8 And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;
9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.
12 And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;
13 I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.
18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;
19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.
20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.
22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.
24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.
25 But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.
26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
28 And I will give him the morning star.
29 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to comment.
I am free to moderate, and I do. Profane, lewd, and unlawful comments will be sent to the Great Beyond, never to be seen again. I reserve all rights to do so for any and all reasons and whims.